Anyone who stops to think about it while reviewing the history of things that moved them to action must recognize that FEAR rules too many of our lives. Unfortunately it appears to be a part of our DNA that we respond quickly to being told to “fear”. I suppose it is why the media coined the expression “if it bleeds it leads”. I have called TV and radio stations to ask why they fill their broadcasts with local murder and car crashes and if one is not available locally they will find one even thousands of miles away. I was told that if there listeners or viewers do not hear or see it they will complain if they had to have heard or seen it elsewhere. The stations do not want to lose readers, listeners or viewers. I am sure the situation has worsened with the immediate news cycle of the internet.
Thanks to the help of Steve Milloy at JunkScience.com I will supply you with 10 stories that were projected to come to pass in 2020. None should be new to you but memory stores the false claims far back in our minds allowing often prominent people to sell their lies ultimately for money, power and prestige. In my area of choice, weather and climate, we should not be so susceptible to lies. Most of us are aware that forecasts of our weather are surprisingly good for a day or 3, but fall to an accuracy no better than 56% for the 7 day forecast. So why do we even pay attention to predictions relating to weather and climate (normally considered a 30 year composite of weather) years, decades and even centuries into the future.
We evidently evolved from prehistoric man when fear of everything was likely to extend life by protecting it from vicious animals and starvation. It has been bread into our DNA and todays alarmists know it only too well. Even understanding this history of human nature, it is surprising that the democratic/socialist part has been able to obtain support for a green new deal. It is based on a belief that life as we know it will end in but a few short years if we continue to add Carbon Dioxide to the atmosphere through the burning of petroleum based fuels. Fuels that have given the world a standard of living never dreamed of just a century ago.
While we know most of our readers at cfact.org buy little of the daily scaremongering, we all have friends who do. Again thanks to Steve Milloy’s invaluable research here are 10 alarmist predictions believed to come true in 2020. These absurd predictions work to enrich the fear mongers power and or blank accounts. Please share them with your more gullible friends in ho
- In 1987 a former NASA scientist was quoted in nearly all U.S. newspapers that by 2020 the world’s temperature would increase by 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit. The actual increase was less than a single degree Fahrenheit.
- In 1978 The Vermont Sun quoted multiple scientists predicting that by 2020 the Earth’s CO2 concentration would double from its then current level of 330 parts per million. It actually increased by only about 27% to 420.
- In 2009 it was predicted that China would decrease their CO2 emissions by 40 to 45% and India by 20 to 25%. Instead their emissions have increased in the past 11 years.
- In 2008 Al Gore and most of his friends predicted the snow on Mount Kilimanjaro would have disappeared. There has been little change at all in its snow cap.
- In 1986 U.S. EPA predicted a two foot sea level rise for Florida in 2020. It has risen about one inch, a rate which has been experienced for 800 years. An additional apparent rise of 3 inches has been the result of land subsidence.
- In March of 2000 at Britain”s Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research, scientist David Parker told the English newspaper The Independent that British children will soon experience snow only virtually on the internet. When it does snow 20 years hence (2020) it will cause chaos due to its rarity. England has not been short of normal snow.
- In 2000 it was reported by the Tarawa, Kiribati newspaper that a study by Greenpeace indicated that Global Warming will ruin Pacific Island Nations economies by 2020 with Tuvalu considered most critical. Tuvalu’s 2019 budget report stated that Tuvalu had enjoyed an unprecedented six consecutive years of economic growth.
- A secret Pentagon report in 2004 reported to President Bush that climate change-caused resource shortages may cause a global war by 2020. It said that shortages of water and energy will become increasingly harder to overcome plunging the planet into war as it is carrying a higher population than it can sustain. Enough said.
- USA Today reported in 2013 that the Arctic should be free of ice in the summer by 2020. The prediction was off by 3.9 million square kilometers, which was the amount of remaining ice in September of 2020.
- In 2009 The Los Angeles Times reported from a number of government reports that it was expected that all glaciers in Glacier National Park would be gone by 2020. The Park officials posted signs warning visitors that the end of glaciers in the Park was near. In 2020 no glaciers were gone but the signs were removed.
The left, which has now taken power will continue to come up with more predictions to scare you. Their past failures will not deter them a bit. Hopefully your knowledge of all their failures will begin to defend yourselves from the fear they wish to instill.